We’ve put together a comprehensive strategy and guide for creating social media content and digital marketing campaigns that will engage with your customers, build your brand and grown your business.
1. Create Brand Pillars
Communicate to build bonds with the brand.
Start with the brand pillars – every communication, post, image, text should be in alignment with the brand pillars and in the brand voice. If these pillars are not clearly definied, go back to management and define the brand.
2. Develop your Target Audience
- Define the target audience (Or if a wide range, create segments).
- Who wants the product? Who can afford the product?
- What type of content does the audience like?
- What channels are they on?
- What time are they on?
3. Create Customer Focused objectives
Why do people follow our brand?
- Customer service
- Learn about new products
- Understand existing products
- Interact with a brand directly
- Learn about purpose and vision as a business.
4. Define the Customer Journey
Define the customer journey stages. (create communication to meet each stage in the journey).
What is the customer feeling in each stage? What questions do they have?
For Example –
- Digital Marketing – create a broad general message with no call to action as a Brand Awareness campaign.
- But from that we can develop a remarketing list from those who engaged with that first message.
- Give away a high value content offer (HVCO) or ‘lead magnet’ in exchange for an email address so we can continue the conversation
- From there, we create a more targetted message to this list with a call to action, adding some value to the next stage of the journey
- We can also build a lookalike audience and communicate with this list.
- Take customers on the journey of building a relationship with the company to integrate with other channels (like email, or phone call, or in person)
Advocacy. Take customer feedback and reviews and turn into posts.
5. Defined Objectives for all content (paid and organic)
- What outcome are we wanting?
- So What. (keep asking). Is this content serving a purpose for the business?
- Vanity Metrics vs ROI.
Create Objectives but don’t reinvent the wheel.
- Align with existing content on other platforms.
- Why: ensure we are not creating unfocused engagement. Engagement we create should be relevant to the business.
- Translate strategic goals into social goals.
- Create content strategy from this.
- Don’t generate content that has no clear purpose. (Objective).
6. Keep Management involved
Create a culture of social, speaking the language that the executives in the company speak.
Show how social is relevant for management. (It drives revenue, decreases costs, decreases risks)
What do customers want to measure?
- Am I inspired by the content?
- Help me make a purchase decision
- Show me you care.
- Provide value
Measure the quality of content engagement.
- How do customers feel?
- Is the experience positive or negative?
Measure customer outcomes and business outcomes together.
- Business: Sell more products
- Customer: Where can I find people that like the things I like?
- Busines: Customer support
- Customer: Want immediate help
8. Shaping a community of followers
- We can’t control everytong.
- Create guidelines, what is tolerated, and what is not.
- Post relevant content. This will shape the community and conversations.
- Share positive comments and posts from customers. (Reinforce positive behaviour).
- Treat others as you wish to be treated.
- Look after the advocates – make them feel special.