Yes – WordPress is a better platform with more scalability and customisation. We believe that WordPress is still the best platform for websites.
The WordPress platform is more suitable as a solution for business use and why we recommend WordPress for all our clients.
Here are some of the reasons why!
1. WordPress is an established platform and well-supported
- The WordPress platform is one of the most widely used in the world – over 1/3 of the websites in the world use WordPress.
- It’s established and has been around for nearly two decades (since 2003). Because of this, the platform is supported with regular updates and there is plenty of support available from experienced WordPress developers.
- There are also plenty of training resources and knowledge shared in online communities about the platform.
2. Custom features can be easily added to WordPress
- WordPress can integrate easily with many other services
- There is a large library of plugins available to add functionality
- The code be customised to add bespoke features if required. Code-level customisation is difficult with Wix.com
3. Unlimited customisation to design and layout with WordPress
Although Wix.com does offer a number of design themes, there are some limitations to your ability to place certain elements on the page exactly where you want them. By contrast, there is a massive library of WordPress themes available – and these can be easily customised. The theme we use – Divi uses a very easy to use ‘drag and drop’ interface which enables us to create a design that looks exactly how we want it to. Additional bespoke design and functionality can be achieved with custom code easily. There is no need to compromise on the visual appearance because of limitations with the platform.
4. Advanced SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) with WordPress
WordPress is built on clean PHP code which delivers a fast experience, utilizes best practices for SEO and many advanced features. This can help with performance in search engines. On WordPress, you can easily use the following advanced SEO techniques ;
- Customise the Robots.txt file
- Create a custom XML sitemap to improve search engine indexing of content
- Customise HTML and CSS code
Advanced SEO features are missing on the Wix.com platform, for example;
- The Robots.txt file is not customisable
- It is not possible to create a custom XML sitemap
- Content is much slower to be indexed by search engines on Wix.com, compared to a WordPress site
- There is limited ability to customise HTML and CSS code on Wix.com
In all of these areas, the WordPress platform is significantly better and delivers great SEO features out of the box, or with the use of popular plugins like Yoast and RankMath.
5. eCommerce Features with WordPress
Wix.com does have eCommerce functionality but has limited customisation and scalability for adding a large number of inventory items WordPress can easily handle thousands of products using the WooCommerce plugin.
WordPress and WooCommerce can integrate with other platforms for inventory and order management if required.
6. Scalability with WordPress
WordPress provides the ability for you to scale your inventory and business up as big as it needs to go. The site can easily be migrated to bigger and faster web servers if the business grows significantly. A site cannot be easily exported or migrated from Wix.com to another platform. This means you are constrained by any limitations on the Wix.com platform and by the performance of their servers.